Advantage & Disadvantages of Electronic Information Resources
We are all aware of the information explosion that has metamorphosed the world in the last four decades. Information, as a dynamic resource has affected all disciplines of human life. The advent of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs), the Internet, particularly the World Wide Web (WWW) has changed everything on the Globe. The ICT has made a profound impact on the availability and accessibility of required Information. These many rapid advances in the field of ICTs, have been a boon to Library and Information Centers (LIC) around the World and due to these, LICs are getting completely changed into information access centers by holding information resources both in traditional and electronic forms. The publishers have also taken advantage of ICTs to a considerable extent and tapped a treasure house of electronic and web resources. In the rest of this article, we are going to know the advantages & disadvantages of Electronic Information Resources.
Advantages of Electronic Information Resources
For many, general reasons for embarking on the purchasing of electronic information resources are the unique nature of EIRs such as easy usability, readability, speedy accessibility, budgetary aspects, and affordability. The following are the advantages of EIRs overprint documents.
- Multi-Access: EIR as a networked product can be accessed simultaneously by any number of users around the clock through multiple points.
- Speedy Retrieval: EIRs are very quick to browse or search, extract and incorporate the information into other material, and cross-search between different publications.
- Functional Aspects: with the help of EIRs, users can approach the publication to analyze its contents in new ways.
- Content analysis: The E-resources contain a huge amount of information in a multimedia format which includes images, audio, video, and animation.
- Consortia mode: The E-resources can be accessed through consortia which cutting down the costs but reaping the same benefits.
- Interactivity: EIRs allow interaction between the author or publisher & user.
- Hypertext: The format can be used and links to related articles, or other websites, & URLs for individual articles.
- Save Physical Space: EIRs save physical storage space.
- EIRs help to reduce the burden of library staff.
Disadvantages of Electronic Information Resources
- EIRs always require some special electronic devices or personal computers to access and use. Few EIRs require particular software to use.
- EIRs are more expensive than print resources.
- Users may face difficulty while reading the computer screen.
- EIRs have an unreliable life span.
- Many print titles are not available in an electronic format.
For citing this article use:
- Manjunath, A. (2013). Use Pattern of Electronic Information Resources and Services in Libraries of Universities with Potential for Excellence UPE in South India a Study. Retrieved from: http://hdl.handle.net/10603/225419